India has become a key medical travel destination for different medical treatments. Foreigners who wish to travel for medical treatment in India need to have a valid Indian medical visa. E-medical visa option introduced by the Governement of India in 2014 has simplified the visa process to such an extent that the visa can be obtained within 48 hours for most foreign nationalities. Duration of the Indian medical visa depends on the treatment period in India or one year, whichever is lesser. In addition to the medical visa for patients, medical attendant visa is provided for 2 attendants also. This thus allows the patient to travel with loved ones for medical treatments in India.
e-Medical visa for medical treatment in India
India has an online e-Indian medical visa option for many countries. This is for short term medical treatment in India and can be got twice a year. Standard approval for e-visa is 1-3 business days while emergency visa approval time is 48 hours or less.
Process for Indian medical visa
- While e-visa process is fully online, the normal visa process is as below.
- First of all, complete the visa application form.
- Then, visit the nearest Indian embassy to submit the forms and documents
- Finally, collect the passport and visa after approvals.
Documents required for Indian medical visa application
While additional documents may be required in some cases, standard list of documents is as below.
- Passport with 6-month validity
- Photographs – Photo requirements
- Copy of letter from concerned hospital in India on its letterhead
- Proof of Residential Address
- Letter from home country doctor to take medical treatment abroad
- Proof of relationship with attendant(For medical attendant visa)
- Medical reports
In addition, India Government Link is a good referral point for more details. There is also a telephone helpline(+91-11-24300666) and an email service (firstname.lastname@example.org) to help the users on any questions.
A Checklist for medical travel to India:
- Firstly, it is important to choose from the best hospitals in India before the travel.
- It is always a best practice to have a remote discussion (phone or video) with the doctor before travelling.
- Then of course, air tickets and visa are mandatory for travel.
- Another important point is with having confirmed stay booking in India. Patients can stay in hospitals during the treatment period. However, there will be a significant time outside the hospital for pre and post checkups. Thus, booking a proper hotel or service apartment is vital.
- There will be daily trips between the place of stay and the hospital. So, it is best to have local travel arrangements made with local travel companies before travel itself.
- Finally, having someone meeting the patient at the airport is a great comfort factor.
INDHEAL can help in almost all of the points above. Being a medical travel company, INDHEAL has partnerships with the best hospitals in India, hotels and travel companies. Therefore, INDHEAL can provide the best possible options for treatments from the best hospitals and attractive discounted rates on hotel/service apartment rooms and local travel.
Note: Vaccination requirements before medical travel to India
- Nationals of countries with yellow fever population or travellers arriving from these countries need a yellow fever vaccination. Otherwise, they may have to be in quarantine wards for 6 days upon arrival in India.
- Oral polio vaccination/IPV only for residents of seven polio-affected countries namely Afghanistan, Ethiopia, Kenya, Nigeria, Pakistan, Syria, and Somalia.
FRRO Registration in India
All the major cities in India have an FRRO (Foreigner’s Regional Registration Offices). Every foreigner visiting India on a visa with more than 180 days validity has to register in FRRO. This registration has to be within 14 days of arrival in India.
Please visit: http://boi.gov.in/content/frro-contact-list for details on FRRO locations.
Hospitals and most of the best medical travel companies in India will help in FRRO registration.