ACL injury is the most common form of sports injuries accounting for more than 80% of sports injuries. This more common among amateur sportspersons than the general population. The sports activities that create maximum damage to ACL are football, rugby, basketball, cricket, tennis, volleyball etc. The main reasons for ACL injury are:
· Sudden slowing down and change of direction or cutting. E.g.- Football, Rugby, Cricket
· Pivoting on a firm foot. E.g.- Basketball
· Landing from a jump incorrectly or landing on a single leg. E.g.- Volleyball, Basketball
· Stopping abruptly. E.g.- Tennis
· Direct blow to the knee or the outside of the leg. E.g.- Football, Volleyball, Rugby, Basketball.
Though commonly regarded as a sports injury, ACL tear can also occur due to trauma to the knees, sudden change in posture, falls and a variety of other reasons. Interestingly, females are more prone to ACL injury than males. This could be due to Also, persons in the age group of 15 to 45 years are more affected, maybe due to their more active lifestyle.
ACL injury is of sudden onset, the symptoms also appear simultaneously. The most common symptoms are:
· A popping sound in the knee at the time of injury
· Sudden swelling of the knees
· Sharp pain in the knees
· Weakness and instability of the knees