What is Breast Enlargement Surgery?
Breast enlargement surgery is done to increase the size of the breast. It also helps to improve the appearance of the breasts in those with small breasts. It is referred to as breast augmentation and augmentation mammoplasty in medical parleys.
The size of the breasts plays an important role in the overall physique of a female. A breast too small or large is a cause of concern for them. This can make them self-conscious and create a dent in their self-esteem and confidence. They may then try to avoid certain situations that require them to wear tight costumes. They will also start using dresses that fits loosely on their body. The overall effect can at times create an aversion to one’s body.
Breast enlargement surgery can help those with smaller breasts. The surgery is relatively safe, and results are obvious within a short time. So those who suffer from a lack of self-esteem due to smaller size of the breast can benefit a lot from the surgery.
Breast enlargement surgery uses breast implants to increase the size of the breast. Implants are made up of silicone shells containing saline or silicone gel. The silicone implants are well accepted by the body and creates very few complications. Modern breast implants last for a long time, but repetition may be necessary after a period.
Breast enlargement surgery is usually done under anaesthesia. The size of the implant to be placed can range from 150 to 800 cc in volume. The implant is placed in a pocket created in the chest tissue. The incision is made according to the size and type of the implant to be placed. The incisions are done in an area where the scars are not very visible.
The duration of surgery is about two hours. Hospitalisation period will be about two days. The results will be obvious once the post-operative inflammation subsides. The recovery schedule must be followed for faster healing.
Different methods of breast enhancement surgery:
There are different methods of performing a breast enlargement surgery. The difference lies in the location of the incision. This is chosen by taking into consideration the size, shape and position of the implant. The common types of incision are-
• Inframammary- The incision is made in the inframammary fold that lies under the breast. The incision can be a large one which will help the surgeon to place a bigger implant. The scar formed will be invisible because of the position of incision is underneath the breast.
• Peri-areolar- The incision is made around the areola and is used to place smaller implants. The scar formed will be well concealed as it falls on the pigmented area close to the areola.
• Trans-axillary- The incision is made under the armpit. The surgeon then guides the implant to the breast tissue. The scar is formed in the armpit than the breast itself.
• Trans-umbilical- The incision is made above the belly button. The implant is then guided to the breast tissue. The scar is formed in the belly button area.
There are various types of breast implants. The implants are made up of silicone shells that contain saline or silicone gel.
• Saline breast implants have a uniform shape. If the implant collapses due to any reason the saline is absorbed into the body and expelled naturally.
• Silicone implants give a more natural texture almost the same as the breast tissue. The silicone gel inside the implant can ooze out in cases of implant rupture. Periodic check-up is necessary to assess the stability of the implants.
• Gummy bear breast implants are made of more thickened silicone gel is hence more stable.
• Round breast implants help to provide a fuller form to the breasts.
• Smooth breast implants have a softer texture.
Who can benefit from the surgery?
Breast enlargement surgery as described earlier helps to improve the appearance of the breasts. So, it is a boon for those who have small breasts without a reason. It helps them to increase the size of the breast and thereby enhancing their confidence and self-esteem.
Breast enlargement surgery may also be done in those whose breast size has reduced due various factors. These factors include-
• Pregnancy and breast feeding
• Sudden weight loss
• Over indulgence in physical activities
In these situations, breast enlargement helps to restore the size of the breasts. The surgery helps the persons to regain their confidence about their body shape.
Breast enlargement is an elective surgical procedure. That means there is no compulsion on a person to undergo the surgery except for cosmetic reasons. So those undergoing the surgery should carefully evaluate the pros and cons with all merits. A proper understanding about the surgical outcome should be developed beforehand. Otherwise disappointment or disillusion can occur later.
What to expect after the surgery?
There will be some amount of pain and swelling in the breast soon after surgery. This will usually subside within a few days. Other temporary or transient discomforts will also be encountered. The person can start doing the routine stuff a week after the surgery. Certain precautions need to be followed for faster recovery.
Risks of breast enlargement surgery:
Risks common to all surgeries are reaction to anaesthesia, infection, bleeding and formation of blood clots. Apart from this there are certain risks specific to breast enlargement surgery and they are-
• Loss of sensation around the nipples
• Improper positioning of the nipples
• Difference in shape or size of the two breasts
• Formation of thick scars
• Breakage of the implants
• Unhappiness or disappointment with the surgical outcome
Capsular contracture is a major complication of breast augmentation surgery. It develops over a certain period of time. This happens when the tissue around the implants start scarring. The scar tissue then starts encapsulating the implant making it lose its shape. This condition occurs in almost five to ten percent of the cases. Those who suffered from post-surgical complications like infection, hematoma or seroma are prone to develop the condition later. Trauma to the breast, radiation therapy, certain autoimmune disorders etc contribute to the condition.
Do's and Don’ts after surgery-
Strenuous activity should be avoided for a few weeks. Tight supportive bras should be worn to help stabilise the implants. Trauma to the chest should be avoided. Lifting of weights is not desirable for a certain period.
Breast Enlargement in India:
The cost of breast enlargement in India mainly depends on the procedure type, implant material chosen, the surgeon performing the procedure, the hospital and the city chosen. On an average , the breast enlargement cost in India is around 7,500 USD and the duration of stay in hospital is one day.
Natural breast enlargement:
Several factors like hereditary, hormonal imbalance, genetics, body type etc determine the size of the breasts. To increase breast size naturally, certain breast enhancement exercises can be done. Eating certain foods or by taking breast enlargement pills or use breast enlargement cream can result in some improvement in breast size.