Dr. Pankaj Nandkishore Maheshwari is a senior urologist with an active clinical practice for nearly 25 years. Dr. Maheshwari did his MBBS & MS from GMC Nagpur, and later got trained in Urology at the Grant Medical College, Mumbai in 1995. He is the recipient of Societe Internationale Urology Traveling Fellowship for 1999– 2000, which he utilized for training in Holmium laser in Urology at New Zealand and at New York. He is the pioneer in the use of Holmium laser in urology in India. He has 54 national and international publications in indexed urology journals of which 8 are quoted in the Campbell’s textbook of urology.
He has authored three books on urology and also written chapters in few urology books.
Clinical interest and area of expertise:
- Urinary stone disease: large experience in ESWL, URS, PCNL and RIRS
- Benign prostatic hyperplasia: Pioneer in use of holmium laser for prostate in India
- Cancer prostate management including robotic prostate surgery
- Bladder tumor: Both superficial and muscle invasive
- Upper tract TCC
- Male infertility & impotence
- Kidney cancers
- National Academy of Medical Sciences, New Delhi.
- Urology Society of India: Council member
- West Zone chapter of USI: Ex Treasurer
- Mumbai Urology Society: Ex Council member
- National Kidney foundation of India.
- Association of Medical Consultants, Mumbai.
- Indian Medical Association.
- American Urology Association
- European Urology Association
- Asian Urology Association
- Societe Internationale D’urologie
- The World Endourology Society: Ex National Delegate
- Socio-medical bodies
- Red Cross Society
- Red Swastik Society
Research & Publications:
- More than 60 articles published in National and international indexed journals. Eight of them quoted in the ‘Campbell’s textbook of Urology’
- More than 50 articles in Newspapers and magazines
- Authored 4 books for lay public
- Member of editorial board of Indian Journal of Urology
- Member of the review panel of more than 10 national and international journals.
- First Indian to get trained in laser prostatectomy with the innovators of the surgery, Dr. Peter Gilling and Dr. Mark Frondorfer at Tauranga, New Zealand.
- First urologist to start Holmium laser enucleation of prostate (1998) & flexible ureteroscopy (RIRS) in India. He has popularized this technique and has demonstrated the surgery all over India.
- Few unusual surgical procedures were done for the first time in India:
- Laparoscopy assisted PCNL for large calculi in pelvic kidney (3 cases).
- Laparoscopic repair of spontaneous bladder perforation.
- Dr. Maheshwari has devised a new technique for placement of CAPD catheter laparoscopically. This significantly reduces the complications of CAPD catheter. (Published in Gold Urology)
- He was invited as a faculty member to various international urology society meetings like American Urology Association, Society Internationale Urology, European Urology & World Endo-urology Society.
- He was invited an international faculty in the International Conference of the Bangladesh Association of Urological Surgeons at Dhaka multiple times. In 2000 he to demonstrated upper tract endourology, that was the first time PCNL was performed in Bangladesh. Again in their 4th conference (2004) he demonstrated flexible ureteroscopy and Holmium laser in Urology. In 2018, he conducted the first master class on technique of enucleation at Dhaka